Tuesday, February 5, 2019

It's Getting Easier

Hello, all!

We're five weeks into the new cycle, and I have to say it's gotten a lot easier to get into teaching this cycle than the last cycle. Now I know how classes usually go down, how to use the resources I have, and how to improvise a little bit in the classroom. I'm enjoying teaching more now that I can be more creative in the classroom. I'm still learning and adapting, and have had a few flop moments in teaching advanced grammar, but it's all part of the process. One of the best things about working at CEDEI is that when I'm unsure about something, I have plenty of helpful, friendly teacher peers who are willing to lend a hand or an idea. Even though I work by myself in the classroom, I still feel like I'm part of a team at CEDEI, and I really like that.

My work at Calasanz is about the same. I am still in the FCT and painting workshops, though we are about to switch the volunteer workshop placements again soon. I love the work that I'm doing--the drawing, the painting, the chatting with the students. Every time I arrive in the morning I have a wave of students who come up to me and greet me with a handshake, a cheek kiss, or a hug. Calasanz is such a positive, uplifting environment, and I am continuously grateful for volunteering there. Here's some of the stuff we've been working on in the workshops:

Decorating boxes in FCT


A completed frame from FCT



As we're past the halfway mark with the Puente Cultural grant, I've been thinking about my next steps after. I recently applied for some Master's of Library Science programs. So far I've applied for only online programs, as I'm not sure I'll be ready to return back to the States immediately after finishing the grant. It's kind of hard to think about my future steps when I'm having such a good time here, but I'm trying to keep a variety of options open for now. I still have a lot to experience in the months that I have left,, and I look forward to what's to come, so stay tuned!

Chao chao for now,
Jossel Franco

No comments:

Post a Comment