Friday, December 14, 2018



Greetings, blog readers. I am writing to you from Chicago, Illinois! That’s right, I am back in the homeland, and it feels pretty good.
            One of the best parts about working in South America, and Ecuador in particular, is the value they put on vacations and holidays. As I mentioned in the last blog, our classes ended in the beginning of this month, and we do not start classes again until the beginning of January. Therefore, we have almost an entire month free to travel. Most of my friends and fellow teachers decided to travel around Ecuador and South America. Therefore, I cannot wait to hear reports and see photos! My parents really wanted me home for Christmas, so I am back in the states until the 30th. Then it’s back to Cuenca for Año Nuevo. I have to say, I have been in the US for only a few days, and I am already missing certain things about Ecuador. I miss the weather, which is just about perfect all day/year around. I arrived in Chicago, and it is so gloomy, you cannot even see Lake Michigan or the skyline. I am also missing my friends, my previous students, and the kids I volunteer with.
            Overall, Christmas time in Cuenca is very mellow, compared to how it is in the United States, which is surprising. It is almost easy to forget that it is Christmas time when you are in Cuenca because there are no signs of Christmas until nighttime when the lights are lit. Although, this is my opinion as a girl from Ohio (or God’s Land as Mark calls it! Haha) where it is cold and snowy, and there are lights and advertisements about Christmas everywhere you turn! I have to say, I like how much less commercial Cuenca is when it comes to Christmas. I do enjoy the commercial element of Christmas because it is nostalgic every year, but it is nice to take a break from it.
            December was a very easy month because about half of it involved no work! I decided to volunteer a bit more at the Fundación during my free time, and try new restaurants and cafes. If you are interested in coming to Cuenca, I recommend Café Ñucallacta. They have delicious food (including vegan and vegetarian items) and the best dirty chai I have ever tasted!
            As far as the Fundación is concerned, I have been getting closer and closer to the kids. I have many photos to upload, once I find out how to do it. J
             Not much to update you all about for the month of December, as it was a quite slow and chill month in Cuenca. FELICES DIAS A TODOS! <3 Kaitlin 

No comments:

Post a Comment