Wednesday, November 13, 2019


I can not believe that I have been here in Ecuador for four months. Time sure does fly when you are having fun. I have loved every second of my experience so far and am looking forward to more adventures. 

As mentioned my TEFL course ended on August 9 and from there I had a month-long break until I began teaching on September 16th. During my time off I spent a lot of time with my roommate Emily. Our bond has grown so much and every day I am so thankful that she was chosen as the other grant recipient. We took that break to explore Cuenca and work on our Visas. The Visa process is very long, frustrating and honestly confusing but I am so thankful that Angie from CEDEI is very helpful and is always there to answer a million questions I have. My Visa got approved and I am so happy that the process is almost over.
Emily and I conquering the world 

It is amazing to see how much growth I did within that month that I got to have off. Before I would get lost so easily and would take 30 minutes to get to my host parent’s house which was only 10 minutes away from CEDEI. Now we know how to get to places and know way more than before. Cuenca is really beautiful and I am so happy that this beautiful city is my new home. 

At the end of the month, we took a trip to Banos. One of our really good friends invited Emily and me to spend the vacation with his family. This meant a lot and  I could not be more grateful. His family was beyond sweet and very caring. They included us in everything they did and made us feel like we were part of the family. I loved meeting my friend’s family and was very sad to leave such a beautiful family and place. 

Pailon del Diabl


Pailon del Diablo 

Casa del Arbol 
Banos challenged both of us. On our first day, we rode our bikes for 17 km!!!! It felt like we would never get to our destination and I was so tired. That was the longest bike ride I had ever done and let me tell you biking in the mountains is no joke. The view, however, made it 100 % worth it. We rode our bikes on the road and got to see so many waterfalls and the beautiful river. I could not believe what I was seeing, everything felt so surreal. One other super cool thing we got to do was ziplining. We ziplined over a waterfall and the river. I was really scared but once I was in the air it felt so amazing. The trip overall was incredible and very satisfying. 


Biking through the mountains 
On September 16th I began my new job with CEDEI as an ESL teacher. I was given one level 102 intensive class, which is 2 hours Monday- Friday, as well as a four-hour Saturday class. Intensive classes move at a higher pace so at the beginning it was very hard to get used to it. Often students have to take the Unit Quiz, Writing Quiz and Speaking evaluation all in one class which at times is too much. I, however, love my kids and am honored that I am their teacher. 

I also began my volunteering at El Arenal, a foundation that focuses on ending the cycle of poverty. The foundation works with families who are low income and earn below the minimum wage. Many of these families can not afford to maintain their kid's education, due to having to pay for books, exams, uniforms, and school materials, also, food in the house. The foundation allows the kids to get homework help, have a meal and also allows them to continue their education by paying for their uniforms, some school materials and encouraging them to continue learning. I take turns between the 3 different groups and do multiple tasks. I enjoy going to the foundation and knowing that I am making someone’s day better. The kids make my day a thousand ways better and make me feel so loved. 
With the kids of the Fundacion in the park 
At the Fundacion 
With Leonel 
 
I am loving my life here in Cuenca so far and can not wait to see where this journey takes me next. Again none of this would be possible without the help and kindness of Mark and Linda. Until next time!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment