Tuesday, August 21, 2018


My first month in Ecuador was an absolute whirlwind. I cannot believe that I am here and will be staying for an entire year. I truly don’t think that it has hit me yet. Firstly, I am absolutely amazed and impressed with CEDEI so far, especially their TEFL program. I wasn’t aware of the fact that I would be literally chauffeured around Ecuador to all of its amazing, indigenous, and prized locations with guides, fellow classmates, and teachers. We toured around Guayaquil, Gualaceo, Cajas National Park, Ingapira, Chordeleg, and Principal. All of which were equally impressive and unlike anything I have ever seen. Secondly, I could not love my host family more. They have been supportive, friendly, welcoming, and helpful to me in every way possible. I feel right at home in this city, many thanks to their hospitality. They recently took Jossel and I on a family trip with them to Chimborazo, the largest mountain in Ecuador for a weekend. On the weekend trip back from Chimborazo to Cuenca, we stopped in Alausí where we rode a train through the Andes and stopped to see indigenous dancing and El Naríz del Diablo. Honestly, the first month here in Ecuador was no joke as far as being busy. I haven’t had a fully day free in a month, but I have enjoyed being busy. The TEFL program was difficult and time consuming, but it could not have been planned nor taught better. The teaching practice hours at night were difficult at first but with feedback, I feel fully confident to teach my own classes. Class time was centered around important theory but Mark and Bea did an amazing job at making sure that we were learning what we yearned for. The VISA process is a bit scattered and confusing, but Angie Marin at CEDEI has been SO helpful with the process, and everything will be handled by next week after a short trip to Guayaquil.
I am excited to be looking for a place to live with my newfound friend, Jossel. We have a free week before teaching to find a place to live, and it has been exciting to see what our options are. It will all feel real when we live on our own in Cuenca. I cannot wait to see what my life turns into as a full time Cuencana. In general, Cuenca is extremely welcoming, family-oriented, conservative, beautiful, busy yet quiet, and full of fresh ingredients small businesses. I love Cuenca so far and cannot wait to see what this year brings me. I want to end this short blog by giving a big “thank you” to Mark and Linda Raderstorf and the Puente Grant for getting me here. I will be forever grateful for this opportunity. More blogs to come!

SALUDOS A TODOS!
Kait Kuntz

No comments:

Post a Comment